With over 900,000 U.S. homes burgled in 2020, you would think most Americans would have home security systems installed. However, figures from 2021 show that only 22% of U.S. citizens have an alarm system installed, and another 22% with video cameras. Instead, more people seem to rely on having windows and doors locked or having personal defense equipment close to hand.
If you are looking for a home security system, it is challenging to choose between the vast number of systems on the market. So, to help out, we’ve compiled a list of the five best systems currently offered by the top home security companies.
If you are looking for an absolutely top-of-the-line home security system, Vivint is the Porsche of home security companies. With their professional installation of high-end equipment, 24/7 monitoring, and smart home features, you are in safe hands.
Their installation comes at a reasonable price, too, starting at just $49.
Other reasons to love Vivint include:
- A unique financing model that keeps payment for equipment and monitoring separate.
- Free consultations in your home.
- A smartphone app for smart home security.
- No third-party equipment—Vivint supplies their own gear.
- A car guard device with a GPS tracker that allows you to track your vehicle’s exact location and monitors for dangerous driving techniques—great for when the kids borrow the car!
- Professional monitoring 24/7.
The Vivint package includes all the standard equipment, such as alarms, cameras, and a video doorbell with AI features. However, while the monitoring pricing is on a level with other providers, the equipment is pretty expensive. Vivint’s many satisfied customers seem okay with that, though, as the price is reflected in the quality of the gear provided.
SimpliSafe is among the top home security companies, with excellent offerings at the budget end of the market. One of the most attractive things about SimpliSafe is their build-your-own approach, which allows you to put together your own DIY system, mixing and matching items and installing them yourself.
For as little as $200, you can get a starter system that covers all the basics. You can get monitoring services cheaply from Simplisafe, with their basic package costing just $15 per month. However, the $25 per month package is a good deal, too, offering extras like mobile app control options and smart home security system voice support using Google Assistant or Alexa.
As noted, SimpliSafe’s main selling point is its pricing. However, there are a few other plus points you might want to know about. These include:
- A 60-day money-back guarantee.
- Financing for equipment available.
- Stylish equipment design.
- Self-monitoring option—free of charge.
- Video alarm verification.
- RapidSOS integration.
There are not too many cons to SimpliSafe, which is why it is in our top five. However, we do have a couple:
- Their equipment has limited smart home compatibility.
- Basic functionality.
- The base station is a little quiet.
- Limited resolution on cameras.
3. Wyze Home Monitoring
Wyze Home Monitoring has an absolutely vast range of gadgets in its offerings. In addition, like SimpliSafe, you can put together your own package. Its monitoring services are also an absolute bargain from just $10 per month or $100 annually. The subscription includes the Wyze Sense Hub free of charge. You can build your system from there, adding sensors, cameras, video doorbells, keypads, and any other piece of integrated security equipment you can think of. The cameras are particularly good, providing top quality at an affordable price.
Wyze has also partnered with Amazon, where they offer a v3 camera, two door and window sensors, one motion detector, one keypad, and the Sense Hub to bring it all together for less than $150. The package also includes a six-month monitoring subscription, so it’s a real bargain.
Wyze Home Monitoring, like SimpliSafe, is a home security company that sells based on its affordability, but here are a few other really good points:
- No contract.
- Video cloud storage for one camera included with monitoring.
- 10-hour battery backup in the event of power failure.
- Free starter kit offered with the annual plan.
- Short warranty period.
- No backup to a cellular network.
- Cannot share app access with the household.
- Smart home compatibility is limited.
- No camera with the basic package.
Of all the home security companies on this list, ADT has the most experience in the security industry, with a record stretching back over 140 years. More than any other company, they also have nine monitoring centers across the country. If your monitoring center goes down, you can rely on another one picking up the slack, so there’s no interruption to your security.
However, this, along with their other top-notch services (video monitoring, smart home control, and ADT app access), makes ADT premium, with their monitoring service costing up to $60 per month, although their basic package is a little cheaper at $27.99 per month.
Along with ADT’s brand recognition and experience comes several other good selling points, including:
- Landline monitoring with cellular backup.
- Smart home control is integrated.
- Professional security and installation consultations.
With such a high-end home security system, you expect few drawbacks, but there are a couple:
- Contracts are relatively long-term.
- Add-ons and upgrades are expensive.
- Their dealers have an aggressive sales approach.
- Installation fees.
Frontpoint is an excellent choice if you want all the best gadgets and features but like to set up and install yourself. Another top-selling point is that their systems come with identity protection software from AllState Identity Protection. Frontpoint ID Protect is a fantastic add-on to your security system, and you get all its excellent features free of charge.
The massive range of gadgets available from Frontpoint allows you to protect inside and outside of your home, something not many home security companies offer. It is also contract-free, so you can opt-out anytime. However, this flexibility comes with a higher price tag, with the basic monitoring at $34.99 per month.
- All equipment is easy to install.
- Free mobile app.
- Live video feeds available.
- ID theft protection.
- Huge range of available equipment.
- Equipment covered against accidental damage.
- Smart home capabilities are average.
- High fees.
- No professional installation options are available.
Any of these home security companies can make your home a safer place. Considering the burglary rates mentioned earlier, home security is a priority now more than ever. Look at the price and list of services carefully when choosing these options. Your home will instantly become safer, as any security is better than none.
You might also be interested in: Does An Alarm System Increase Your Home Value?